Friday, October 22, 2010

Sorority Snowflakes Sued For Hazing

Ah, College. (HT Student Prespectives F33)



Looks like hazing has made its way to San Jose. San Jose State University to be specific. Courtney Howard went to pledge at Sigma Gamma Rho. Then the fun begins (not pictured above). From NBCBayArea.com:

"Howard describes her first night as pledge: "I remember them hitting me. It hurt really bad, and I remember that night, I went home and cried."

Howard says then they beat her with a wooden cane.

"I had welts and bruises all over my butt to the point where I couldn't even lay down because it hurt so bad," said Howard.

Howard's attorney says there is a psychological aspect to this type of hazing.

"With African-American fraternities and sororities, there's often this notion that this is being done to allow young people to empathize with what their ancestors went through, through slavery," said attorney John Griggs.

Howard says after three weeks of being thrown against walls, paddled with wooden spoons and punched, she complained to the university."

It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit will turn out. Let's see what happens when the perps are women. How severe will punishment be, if any??

Background Intel:

NBCBayArea.com: Sorority Hazing Allegations: LA Woman Sues SJSU

No comments:

Post a Comment